Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dots Amore.

The morning after I designed the original yellow dot monogram, Andy and I walked down to Treasure Island to pick up some snacks for the Bears game. I picked up a copy of In Style Weddings and was flipping through it while he ran into 7-Eleven to look for the "good" dip. I stumbled upon the photo of this cake and was jumping up and down when he came out of the store. It looks just like the monogram!

Photo: In Style Weddings Magazine, Fall 2007

I really, really, really, really hope that we can afford this cake. I have a feeling that it's going to be $$$ given how labor intensive it is. To save money, we're considering having a cake made for half count and then having about 150 cupcakes made using our moms' carrot cake and white cake recipes. Then I can prance around the reception in triumph when everyone chooses my mom's carrot cake over Andy's mom's white cake!

If we can afford the cake, what do you think we should do?

  • All white?
  • Majority white with some colored balls?
  • All colored balls in the various colors of the invite?
When I was doing yellow, I was going to have the cake be made in many shades of yellow; but I think that that may be a bit contrived in my fall colors. (Or "technicolor" as Andy's aunt called it).

Speaking of cake, check out the pretty Vera Wang Wedgewood cake knife and server set that showed up at my office the other day:

Photo from the Wedgewood web site

I ran down to the front desk expecting Andy's birthday present to be there (four days late) and the package was for me! (Well, it was addressed to both of us, but realistically...) Our friends from Buffalo, Balz and Crash, sent it as a belated engagement present. Ironically, I had nixed the cake knife from the budget a few weeks ago. If it weren't for Balz, I would've been using a plastic freebee from Dinkel's in all of the wedding photos.

2 comments:

A Windy City Wedding said...

I would definitely go with all white, it is more stunning. I think too many different colors will take away from the effect.

Anonymous said...

i vote for all white. otherwise it might look like a gumball machine fell out on your beautiful buttercream frosted cake. -trix