Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My Family Shower

My mom and sister hosted a family bridal shower for me a few weeks ago. It was such a nice afternoon. I can't think of a better adjective for it. It was a relaxing afternoon and I had a good time catching up with my relatives. Other than the few moments that I brought the room down crying about our Grandma Ona, it was a happy day.

These were the cute invitations that I posted earlier:




My mom picked up these pretty gold vases at Ikea after my dress fitting back in August. She then asked the restaurant to use "linens in fall colors." My sister found these perfect favor bags at Hobby Lobby.



We played two games. First, was a vintage bridal bingo that my mom and I found in an antique store on her birthday.




Then, the guests completed a quiz. It was the same quiz that my sister created for the Paper Source shower. Here's an excerpt from a copy that I made for my scrapbook:

As always, I received TONS of wonderful gifts -- five pieces of All-Clad (Not even kidding. FIVE PIECES!), a food processor, towels, a folding table and chairs, glasses, chip and dip bowls, a giant box of kitchen tools from Williams-Sonoma, and a big box of kitchen tools from Crate & Barrel. My mom, in particular, had really hooked me up.


Andy's mom gave me a beautiful Kosta Boda decanter that she brought during a recent trip to Sweden:




My mom bought me this wonderful Christopher Radko ornament.



Oddly enough, despite all of the lavish gifts that I received, these mini gravy boats from Crate & Barrel were the biggest hit among the guests. There were actual "oooohhs." (We are Polish and Bohemian, so fights over gravy-hogging are common at our meals.) When I told my sister the next day that I added more to the registry, she told me that she wanted to make a trip to C&B just to buy them for me herself. And she also informed me that I would be buying her some when she buys her first home.




Andy had his moment in the spotlight at this shower. My mom bought him a toolbox and screwdrivers and made him open it in front of everyone.



I love this picture of my cousins:




As with the other showers, I made my mom stationery for hosting my shower. Her cards were the hardest to design because I couldn't decide on just ONE theme. I finally combined two of her interests -- birds and The Beatles. It was a challenge to work the Yellow Submarine era into her favorite colors, pink and yellow, but I mixed some gocco paint together and created a perfect match to the Paper Source Strawberry color. (I'm counting this as a Gocco Victory even if it isn't that big of a deal.) And, believe it or not, I found a free "Yellow Submarine" font.


Image: Personal Collection



I already made my sister note cards after my Paper Source shower. They are the Melissa cards in this photo.


I also made thank you cards for this shower, but I am using the left overs for my bachelorette party, so I can't share them yet. I will say that I LOVE them. :)

2 comments:

Colleen said...

OMG, how wonderful does this look! Your cousins are adorable, I'm totally jealous of your vintage bride bingo (mine wasn't even close to authentic!), and all of the stationery details are so perfect! They did such a great job!!!

Miss G said...

I saw on Jessica's blog your comment about your napkins getting ruined. I am so sorry! Kelly