Friday, October 3, 2008

I Stayed Up Too Late Last Night.

"Perfectionist" is an adjective that's been popping up in my parent-teacher conferences and performance for reviews for years. And although it's usually not used in a positive manner, I always silently smirked when people said it. But then a couple of years ago, most likely when I was absolutely exhausted from working my tail off, I realized that it meant:

I don't get to sleep the week of deadlines.
I tend WASTE TIME RE-DOING others' work.
I fall behind on everything else while trying to complete a single task.

And lots of other things that I probably shouldn't list ad nauseum in case employers ever see this. But back to my point. I stayed up until 1:45 a.m. last night. And I stayed up to work on something that was so trivial that, although a wedding guest may smirk at it when he/she sees it, it's DEFINITELY something that no one would have EVER noticed if it didn't exist. And now I'm so tired that it physically hurts. Today, we're at 14 days and counting. I think that the most important thing for me to remember over the next 14 days is:

PAPER DOESN'T MATTER.
ANDY AND I SPENT PHAT CASH ON A PIMP, MIMINALIST VENUE FOR A REASON.
MY OVERTIRED LOOK (PALE WITH GET DARK CIRCLES UNDER THE EYES) DOES NOT MAKE A VERY BLUSHING BRIDE.
I AM GOING TO BE SO BUSY ON THE DAY OF THE WEDDING, THAT I WON'T NOTICE IF GUESTS NOTICE ANYTHING.

I know that I will focus on Andy and enjoy the day. I am definitely a "live in the moment" type of person -- to a fault, really. I just have to remember to let go and sleep during the many moments leading up to THE MOMENT, if you catch my drift.

2 comments:

sarah said...

omg girl, i hope you get some zzzzz's soon so you are blushing bride not dark circle bride!!! you know us girls will appreciate every little detail that you worked so hard on. don't get any zzzzz's tomorrow night though, party it up like a trix-star!

Rachel said...

I hope you were able to get some sleep this weekend!!
You're in the home stretch right now!! I'm sure I'll be the same way in a month... of course I've already not been sleeping well. But, in an effort to get them done so I could mail them today, I had to let go of perfectionism for the invitations. No, the envelopes didn't get lined. And the tissue paper that's in there to keep the colored map from rubbing off on the other parts is not necessarily cut perfectly.
But, I've got lists upon lists of things we want and need to get done, so I didn't really have the time, and I had to let it go.

Hope your week is starting off well.