Friday, September 2, 2011

The Automatic American in France

As I mentioned I few times, I bought a DSLR camera in March. Manual photography is so much more difficult than I ever would have imagined. I know that I'll have my light bulb moment, but I'm ready for it to frickin' come already.

In anticipation of our trip to France, I've been taking pictures of everything and anything in an attempt to master my camera. I got a new haircut last night and thought I'd try some self-portraits to see how it looked (instead of taking another 50 photos of my "art" and tree).

I was SO EXCITED when I looked at them on the camera. I thought, "Finally! A few photos that look like they were taken on a nice camera." Then I loaded them onto my laptop. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. These are the best of my "great" photos. So dark, so light, and so blurry.




Oh well, I guess that there are worse problems to have than having to shoot automatic or AV/TV in France, right?

BTW, I normally only wear my glasses for computer work, but find myself reaching for my glasses more and more these days to relieve eye strain. I took these pictures with my glasses to see what grandma looks like in her cheaters. I'm so happy that they still work, as I bought them for a much more slender face and they weren't cheap.

Have a happy weekend, friends!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love the second one. I wouldn't worry about using the automatic setting in France. Just have fun!

Sev said...

Love the hair, love the glasses, love your look! You look stunning!

Kelly said...

I also wouldnt worry about using AV/TV. After learning manual, I still shoot on AV a lot of the time. It is less work; I'm not trying to be a professional; and if it is easier then why not? I think it is hard when you read blogs where it seems like if you dont shoot manual you are fraud. I beg to differ. it is your camera, your hobby - do what you want!

you dont want to be held up in paris because you are fiddling with manual settings.