Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cheap and Easy Abstract Art

Over a year ago, I decided to try my hand at some mid-century inspired art for my fireplace.




{Photos from Casa Sugar}

It seemed simple enough and I excitedly picked up a canvas back in the fall. And then it sat there for six months. As I always do in the spring, I got a bug up my butt to get my apartment in order and decided to finally give it a try. I followed the advice I read on Oh Happy Day! and practiced on a small canvas. It looked like total crap. Then I remembered a decoupage canvas that I spotted in HGTV Magazine while on a flight:



I may not be able to control a paintbrush, but I could tear up paper, right? The next day, I ran to Paper Source and bought every color of tissue that they sell. Then I went to town with some Modge Podge.


The big orange piece reminded of that giant fat cat photo,
so I tried layering some big pieces on it. Ha! He's still there.

And here's the finished product:


As cheese as it is, I totally love it! It brings some much, much needed color to that dreary, light-less corner. Even Andy was surprised by how it turned out. He admitted to some doubt when he arrived home from the gym and saw me standing in a pile of shredded tissue paper.

You can see some of the inspiration that I pinned here.