Monday, January 25, 2010

Secrets of Staying (Happily) Married for 50 Years



Did anyone else catch this article in this month's Real Simple? The magazine interviewed couples who have been married for 50+ years. Their stories are witty and charming. I think that Andy would want me to follow this advice from Ben Sonnenschein, shown in the photo above:






“Don’t get angry over more than one thing at a time.
People jump around from one issue to another,” says Ben.


When I get the mean reds and he's talking me down from the ledge, he'll tell me that I'm "escalating" and force me to "pick an issue." Sometimes Andy is smarter than me.

One couple says that they disco dance every morning at 6:30! I can barely get out the door in the morning.


3 comments:

Abbie said...

Okay... you got me. I'm the same way. I need to write this down!!

Darci said...

I loved that article! My favorite was the couple (can't remember which) where the woman said "He still takes my arm and leads me across a parking lot like I'm a lady" and he basically said "I hold on to her b/c I am worried she will fall." Totally my relationship. I am busy feeling special for no reason, and he's just trying to buy himself out of another trip to the emergency room.

A Windy City Wedding said...

thank you for the sweet email today, it made my day and i needed it! he is just starting out as you can see but we are very excited. if you know anyone getting married he is available!! i hope you are doing well.