Monday, July 30, 2012

Vintage Art Score

I wanted to share some quick snaps of some vintage lithographs that I picked up at an antique store in Wisconsin.


 I had spotted them back in May, but they were pricey, so I decided to sleep on them. I thought I'd be safe since stuff sits in Chicago-area antique stores for months or even years. Big mistake. Someone bought one. Booooo! And the prettiest one, of course.

When I got them home, I unwrapped one to show my sister-in-law and, on a whim, decided to search for "vintage paris watercolor" on eBay to see if I could find some other street art that would compliment my set. And, pin this, I found *my* paintings - including the missing one - selling for $149 - $295! Holy smokes. It appears that my prints are designer imposters of some lithograph prints by a somewhat famous street painter named Herbelot. I ended up buying a Herbelot print on ebay for almost the same price as my antique store prints.

My eBay Herbelot:


I was pleasantly surprised when I cleaning them for hanging and realized that this one was also a Herbelot.  Hooray!


My designer imposters by "Christian:"




I have a feeling that they're actually have little value, but I am still excited that there is a little story behind them. Right now, they're being test driven on the living room wall. They'll probably live there in their dinged up, mismatched frames until I scrape together the change to reframe them.

No comments: