Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bridal Party Gift Ideas: Art

Maria of The Pied-A-Terre, who is getting married in October (yeah!), recently commented that she is looking for bridesmaid gift ideas. Like many people, I l-o-v-e giving gifts. Reigning myself in on hostess and bridal party gifts was actually one of the tough parts of my wedding planning. (And I didn't do a very good job at it. )

Giving art as a gift may be risky, but I adore the idea. If you know the recipient well enough to buy what they'd like (not what you'd like), I think it could be a pleasant surprise. (And much better than a candle. I believe that candles should never be given for anything other than a polite hostess gift. Anything scented is off-limits to me -- too personal.) If you buy something reasonably priced, they can enjoy it during its shelf-life and won't feel obligated to keep it for the rest of their lives. Here are few random pieces found in my Google Reader and bookmarks:



  • I can't imagine a gift from MadeByGirl EVER bombing:
{Source: MadeByGirl}

  • I went through a huge folk art phase in my late 20s. During that time, I bought several pieces from Canadian artist, Helene Lacelle - Neon Matisse. Her pieces are odd and bright and whimsical. And she is COOL! I still have the cards that she sent me from Christmases past.

 


  • Next time you have about four hours to kill, type "letterpress art" into etsy. Oh my. There's just so much!

{Source: luludee}

 
{Source: cindytomczykart}

  • Hometown Shout-Outs: I love ANYTHING that gives mad props to a hometown with something other than a black and white skyline photo. That being said, I have been debating whether I can buy this poster for ages now given that Manhattan is not my hometown. I know exactly where I'd hang it.

 

 
{Source: Louella Press}

 
{Source: Michele Maule}
{Source: Ork Posters!}
  • Don't forget to celebrate their iconic celebrity crushes! I'd get this for my friend that LOVES Bruce:
 
{Source: SchroederJim}

 

  • I can spend a whole year documenting my favorite pieces from the 20X200 site.
Would you ever give art as a gift?

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I think gifting art is a fantastic idea - assuming you're close enough to the giftees to understand their taste - and place-based art is also a favorite of mine! Your examples here are great.

Miss K said...

I love the idea of giving art as a bridal party gift! But you must be mindful about the personalities of your bridal party, unfortunately everyone doesn't appreciate good art! Great Post!

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmm what great blog keep going ahead......... I like your blog all the best..........

___________________
Smarry
Online Marketing of your brand